It's official: Jon and I are obsessed with The Wild Cow ! We've used most of our eating out budget at the place, save one visit to our favorite Mexican restaurant La Hacienda. If you live in Nashville, or plan to visit, you MUST go here! The hummus appetizer is killer, and so is the philly cheese'steak' and buffalo 'chicken' sandwich.
Vegan food is so damn yummy. And I'm a wanna-be vegan. In high school I was, then after that I've been an on-again-off-again vegetarian. It's hard because I love to cook but how in the world do you learn to cook that fake meat stuff? The Wild Cow introduced us to normal eating out favorites in a new light. In addition to tofu (not my fav) we've tried Seitan (yum!) and Tempeh. We have also tasted 'cheese' made from nutritional yeast.
My big thing is that I have always believed that the way you treat the most vulnerable members of our world says a lot about you as a person.
Back to our lunch. We recreated the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich today and boy! was it delicious!
Cut 1 block organic tempeh into 1/2 thick slices. Rub with 1 & 1/2 tbls. EVOO, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Toss with buffalo sauce (made by mixing 1/8 c. Frank's Red Hot Xtra Hot Sauce with 2 tbls. Smart Balance Light Vegan Butter) and let sit for 10 minutes.

Fry gently - no other oils needed- until it starts to crisp. You may also place it on an indoor grill until grill marks begin to show.

Let cool for a few minutes.

Place 5 slices on favorite bread or roll (we were out of rolls!). Top with desired dressing, more buffalo sauce, celery sprinkles (chopped celery), lettuce, and tomato.
Enjoy! Much healthier (and friendly!) than a fried buffalo chicken sandwich, and contains way more fiber :)
JON HAS BEEN CONVERTED........ You may be, too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment