Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Random thoughts on Snow Day #6

So this is my 6th snow day off work since the middle of January. I'm happy to have a day off, but sad because only 5 of those days are "free". This one will get tacked on to the last week of school, extending the school year. I love random days off. Teachers work so hard, round the clock, constantly. I can't sleep at night because I'm thinking about how many copies I need to make, or what my lessons are, or what I'm going to do next for my kids, or if I documented something right, or if they are cold in their beds. I seriously wake up every hour of the night thinking about things these things... and being paranoid that I'm going to be late for work. I should have appreciated my teachers more growing up!

The more I think about it, the better year round school is sounding. It's already up and running in surrounding counties. If they pass it in metro we will still have a week for fall break and a week for spring break. The rest of the time we would work for 9 weeks and then have a 2 week break. Summer would be 1 1/2 months and Christmas break would be extended to a full month. I kinda hope they go this way. Mental breaks are seriously needed. I voted against changing the high school hours from 6:50-2:05. I like getting off early, but I'm just so tired afterwards I feel like I can't do anything but go to sleep! I'm kinda hoping the new 9:30-4:30 proposed hours actually passes.

Anyway, back to the snow. Last night Jon & I went to an Autism talk at my chirpractor's office. This young doctor who is our age joined the practice and apparently he's a leading researcher in functional neurology and is focusing on treating ASD's with nutritional changes, chiropractic care, and sensory therapies. It was interesting and informative. A scary new statistic is that 1 in 68 children with have an ASD, and 1 in 38 boys will have an ASD. FRIGHTENING!! That's enough to make me question having children. I got some good information about possibly setting up a sensory center for my students who have autism. I need a large bookcase or something to set apart an area of my class for this. I'm thinking sensory boxes (sight, taste, smell, touch, auditory- labeling them and placing objects in each having to do with the sense), different types of lighting, and maybe a bean bag and/or rocker chair. I figured a bean bag is sensory in itself. I don't know... this is probably something I will need to fund and create over the summer and have available for them in August. I got word that I will be getting 2 more students from the 9th grade academy who have autism, so I know this will be a useful center to use as a reward. Maybe I can build, or have Jon help me build, a room divider with shelves to keep all the boxes on?


AHHH back to the snow. We left the talk and it was coming down fast! We made it to publix, did a little grocery shopping with CASH, and came back out and you couldn't see the parking lot! The roads were covered and my little truck was sliding everywhere. I hate driving my truck in the snow because it's so light in the rear it slides all over the place. I made it to our neighborhood and I couldn't get get up the slight hill to our street. I started yelling and made Jon switch with me. He tried to get us up the street to no avail, so we had to back out and go in the opposite entrance. Rox and Copper were happy to see snow again!!! 1 & 1/2 inches fell in about 45 minutes.

I was glued to the TV, and school was NOT cancelled by the time I went to sleep last night. I woke up this morning at the usual 4am, and started working on activities for 1st block. Still, school was not cancelled. At 5:15 I figured I'd check the TV one more time and there it was! "Davidson County Schools- Closed"! Jon was sleeping on the couch so I woke him up to tell him I had the day off. He said " I know, I heard it an hour ago." "And you didn't tell me? You just let me get up and start getting ready when I could be sleeping?" "HAHAHAHAHAHHA" and he rolls back over and started snoring again. I was already up so I did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, started some laundry, fed the dogs, let them out to potty, made Jon's lunch, and decided to go to the gym.

So today was my first day of training for the Music City Half Marathon. I should have started months ago, like Jen did, but I've been hurting real bad and my chiropractor told me not to exercise or lift anything heavier than a pillow (hence my weight gain). I found out I'm completely missing a disk in my lower back, and the one above it is bulging. I've been going to therapy 3x's a week for 7 weeks now. I'm feeling better, but one part just wont stop hurting. Every step I ran at the gym was painful. Only on my left hip. I was hoping to catch a yoga class to really stretch my hip out but there wasn't one. Now that I'm home my hip actually feels better than it did before I ran, so maybe it just needs to work it's own soreness out. I must say I'm disappointed about how out of shape I am. Last march, when Jen and I ran the Knoxville 1/2, I was in awesome shape! I was running a 7.5 minute mile at my best. Today I did 2 miles in thirty minutes! LOL! I still have 11 weeks to get it back. And, if all else fails, I can always walk it. My plan is 75 minutes of Yoga on Mondays and Sundays, and running increasing lengths the rest of the days. I'm excited for the race and the fact that Miranda will be coming in town to join Jen and I, and Jon is going to run it for the first time, too! :)

This morning at the Y I looked around and all I saw were gym bunnies. Gym bunnies are like snow bunnies except in the gym and not in a tight ski suit. The usually adorn a sports bra or tight running shirt with super short running shorts showing off their cellulite-less legs. You know, the ones that are running at 6.0 for two hours on the treadmill and look like a spaghetti noodle, or the ones that can do the magical balancing act on the elliptical for 10 hours while reading a 500 page novel. And they look good while doing it. Their perfect ponytails usually swing back and forth rhythmically. If I had photoshop I'd post a picture on my blog of one of these girls with a red circle around it and a red slash through it. On my treadmill there was a girl secretly hoping that the gym bunny on the elliptical would drop her book into the next door stationary bike, resulting in lose pages flying up in the air.

Speaking of wishes, I wish I had photoshop, a desktop computer, and some photography lessons. I love my camera and I love to take pictures. The awesome girls that did my boudoir photography shoot gives lesson. I really hope Jon lets me take one... HINT HINT. Maybe as and early birthday present??? ;)

I suppose that enough random thoughts for today. THE END!

No comments: